Wednesday, June 18, 2008

the future of road trips ?

Anyone who knows me knows that perhaps my favorite thing in the world, aside from God, wife, family, friends, art/teaching, and my new grill, is a road trip ( ...no distractions, just you against the World ). The good old road trip is a way to revolutionize my relationship with all of the above... well maybe not my grill... although I have been wanting to cook a roast on a manifold!. Anyway, with Carson on the way the road trip is of course put on indefinite hold. On top of that fuel prices as they are skyrocketing are going to kill the road trip anyway ... right?

WRONG !!!

Introducing the Aptera . I understand that is a Greek word meaning "wingless flight"

This is a new 300+ MPG/ 90 MPH top speed plug in hybrid that is coming out this fall (only available to California residents for the immediate future). The first modal seats 2+1 (infant/toddler) but the inventor plans on making a 4+1 next year. If you are skeptical, as I was at first you need to visit Popular Mechanics and see their approval of this car. Of note to me besides the incredible efficiency is its safety and its aerodynamics. The total drag (wind resistance) that this car produces is equivalent to what your hand will produce when you stick it out of your car window at highway speeds. Also, they plan to sell a well equipped model at under 30k. I'm betting demand will raise that number. I'm also willing to bet I'm not going to be able to cook a roast on it's generator sized engine.

Of special note? This car will probably change the way we drive. This is something hippies and quasi-Marxists have been trying to do for 30 years a couple of bored engineers turned venture CAPITALISTS have done in a couple of years beginning with their spare time.

No comments: